The Children’s Annex Philosophy
The Children’s Annex creates a pleasant "home away from home" environment for children. We provide each child with a safe, secure, warm and welcoming place to come each day. Our centers are places where each child has fun, finds needed support, develops self-esteem, socialization skills, and has educational and enrichment opportunities.
Our before and after school programs for Kindergarten through 5th grade students are on-site at each of the elementary schools in the District. We offer educational and enrichment activities. Children enrolled at the school may attend the Annex on that school site provided space is available. Our staff is carefully selected, professional and highly qualified. Children’s Annex teachers have BA’s, AA’s or Certificates in Early Childhood Education. Most of our Instructional Assistants are college students. Our programs are a balance between structured and self-initiated activities that are age appropriate and reflect the children’s interests and the staff’s talents and expertise. The Annex makes learning fun!.
Hours During the School Year
- The Children’s Annex is open from 7:00 am to the start of school and reopens from 11:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- There is no additional charge to accommodate children for additional hours for early dismissal time on parent conference
days, minimum days and "no school" days.
- The Annex does not provide drop-in day care.
Holidays, School Breaks and Summer Vacation
- Camps are offered for an additional charge during fall, winter, spring and summer breaks.
- The Annex focuses on a weekly theme and offers a holistic approach with its educational and recreational program during Fall Intersession, Winter Break/Intersession, Spring Break/Intersession and Summer.
- The Children’s Annex is closed on most National Holidays. Our monthly calendar will indicate those dates.
Four Basic Program Components
- Planned group activities include a variety of arts and crafts, dramatic play and theatre games, storytelling, cooking, science
projects and other enrichment activities.
- Students enjoy exploring using our hand-held microscope, telescope and digital camera.
- Free choice activities include board games, individual art projects, puzzles, library books, educational computer games and more.
- Planned group sports, as well as free choice activities, are provided with appropriate sports equipment.
- Adults instruct and participate in our various sports activities.
- Homework support is offered every day and is an important part of our Annex program.
- Annex staff communicates closely with classroom teachers and parents about assignments, expectations and relevant school matters.
- A quiet area with our highly-trained staff allows students the appropriate time per grade level, suggested by District guidelines, to work on their assignments.
- Computers and the Internet are available for students to use during homework time. Each Annex is equipped with computers and appropriate educational software.
- Nutritional daily snacks are prepared and selected from two food groups. Beverages are also provided.
- Children sometimes prepare their snacks, giving them the opportunity to learn new cooking skills
and enjoy our scrumptious nutrition lessons.