Parents may request an intradistrict transfer for their child to attend another school in the District which is not their assigned school. Transfers will only be granted if there is room in the school and grade level requested after all attendance area students are placed. Transfer wait list priority is established by lottery. Parents may submit an application to no more than two schools total. If approved, a transfer will remain in effect until the completion of the highest grade level at the school as long as the student continues living in the SM-FCSD boundaries and the conditions of the transfer are upheld. All intradistrict transfer wait lists expire once the school year begins. Please see the FAQ section for more information.
- Applications for the 2015-2016 school year will be available January 14, 2014.
Priorities for Intradistrict Transfers
Student Services will review annually the enrollment capacity at all school sites to determine space availability for purposes of enrollment and transfer requests. Available space is determined by program capacity, staffing entitlement, program considerations and facilities. Student Services will annually establish and publish enrollment cutoff dates for the purpose of determining district enrollment priorities.
Transfer Applications are approved based on the following descending order of priorities:
1. Continuing 5th and 8th Grade Students - former residents of the school's attendance area who have moved into another school's attendance area within the district, provided space is available.
2. District Employees - children of district employees who have requested attendance through the Employee Preference transfer process.
3. Overflow Students - students overflowed to another school who want to remain at the overflow school.
4. Siblings - siblings of students concurrently enrolled on an approved intradistrict transfer.
5. Continuing Students - students who move to another attendance area within the district and wish to remain at their current school.
6. Continuing Interdistrict Transfer Students - students living outside the district currently enrolled in one of the district schools with an approved interdistrict transfer and requesting to continue at the same school, providing they continue to meet transfer student criteria.
7. Preschool Students - preschool students who live within the district and attend a feeder SM-FCSD preschool five days a week.
8. IB Program Continuation Students - students who have attended the Sunnybrae International Baccalaureate Primary Years program for five years who wish to continue to into Borel's International Baccalaureate Middle Years program.
9. New Intradistrict Transfer Students - students who live within the SM-FCSD who are requesting a transfer to attend another school in the district.
10. Interdistrict Siblings - siblings of interdistrict transfer students concurrently enrolled in the district.
11. Elementary to Middle School Interdistrict Transfer Students - elementary students on an interdistrict transfer requesting an ongoing interdistrict transfer to a district middle school.
12. Out-of-District Preschool Students - preschool students who live outside the district and attend a feeder SM-FCSD preschool five days a week.
13. New Interdistrict Transfer Students - all other out-of-district transfer requests.
Parkside Montessori Program
The Montessori program offered at Parkside Elementary School is continuing to accept applications for kindergarten and first grade openings for the 2014-2015 school year. Applications for the Montessori program at Parkside Elementary can be completed after registering at your child’s school of attendance and returned to the District Office.
The public school Montessori program in the San Mateo-Foster City School District is in its 25th year, and is recognized for the development of each child’s intellectual, social, and creative abilities, using hands-on, multi-sensory materials within a carefully prepared environment. The environment allows for self-correction opportunities, which lead to the joy of inner motivation. Montessori elementary studies are based on a cultural curriculum which integrates history, geography, mathematics, science, biology, language, literature, art, and music.
Intradistrict Transfers - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How are students assigned to a school in the San Mateo-Foster City School District?
All students in the SM-FCSD are assigned to a school based on their home address. To find your school of assignment, ...more
Interdistrict Transfers Out of the SM-FCSD
If you live in the San Mateo-Foster City School District and would like to transfer to another school district, please complete an Interdistrict Transfer form and submit it to the District Office.
For a full listing of Interdistrict Transfer regulations, please see Board Policy 5117.
Interdistrict Transfers In to the SM-FCSD
Requests to transfer into the San Mateo-Foster City School District must be received by June 1 for the following school year. Students without an approved interdistrict transfer will not be allowed to start school in our district.